Monday, May 12, 2008

A Personal Mother's Day Ramble

Today's post is a little different than the usual. I want to ramble a bit. First of all, I need to mention that yesterday was Mother's Day. This year the meaning of Mother's Day really touched me more deeply than it has in the past.

Let me explain...my mom has cancer. She was diagnosed with ovarian cancer in Jan. 2007. She is currently undergoing chemo for the second time. My mother has been a terrific role model for showing me how to be a good mother.

She was a stay-at-home mom and I have never doubted that she would do anything possible to see that my sister, my brothers and I have what we want and need in life. Don't get me wrong - I did not grow up wealthy. As a matter of fact, I can remember times that I knew my parents were struggling. The point is that my parents were always there for me in whatever way they could be.

I was not pressured to follow in their paths or to go in any particular path at all. But whatever I chose in life - and continue to choose - I feel encouragement and support from my mom. My dad died several years ago but I still feel his love.

I am very fortunate indeed to have been blessed with such loving parents. I have done my best to make my own kids feel this type of love and support throughout their lives. Luckily I have had excellent role models that have provided the foundation for that.

I find that having feelings of gratitude for the people in my life helps to ease any stressful situation. I am going to add this to my coping mechanisms. When I find myself getting anxious I am going to give gratitude and appreciation for all my blessings in life. Perhaps you will also find this technique useful.

Whether it's your parents or other family members, certain friends, or special people you admire, consider the wonderful advantages you have because of those individuals. We are blessed in so many ways - it is often easy to overlook the most important and meaningful things in life.

Make a list of all you have to be grateful for - look it over on a daily basis. Each day focus on the appreciation you have for at least one person or thing on your list. You might find that helpful in maintaining positivity in your life!






Debbie C. Allen
www.FitInsidenOut.com
www.EatRightLOSEWEIGHTFeelGreat.com
www.InternetDivaDeb.com

No comments: